Monday, September 24, 2007

SANTA RITA FLORESTA PETITE SIRAH SYRAH 2003


I bought this as a birthday present for myself. Julia and I enjoyed it immensely as we sat on our hotel patio in Whistler gazing up at the mountains.

If you have ever heard someone say that only cheap red wine leaves your mouth red, don't believe them. This wine was expensive and delicious, and it left our mouths a deep purple. It may have been a result of the high juice concentration - this wine had legs! As I swirled my glass, I could see it slowly drip down the sides.

The Floresta had flavours of plum and leather, with spicy notes. It was very dry, so much so that Julia said her mouth was like a desert. She also called it a man's wine, and was able to pick out the oak (I didn't until I read the label). It was definitely an indulgence and worth the price.

Score: 93

BCLS: SKU #24513 / UPC #00686586000445

P.S. Gismondi on Wine reviewed this wine recently and gave it the same score. Maybe I have a new career in reviewing wine! (Oct 8 '07)