Sunday, August 2, 2009

LOUIS LATOUR MARSANNAY 2006

I am currently reading Red, White, and Drunk All Over by Natalie MacLean. The book starts with a description of the Burgundy wine region, one of the coldest in France. Burgundy is famous for pinot noir, a seductive, fragile, temperamental grape that is often the favourite of sophisticated wine aficionados. It is extremely sensitive to growing conditions thanks to its thin skin, earning the nickname “heartbreak grape.” Its fragility adds to its allure. Most Burgundois wine makers, however, seem to focus on the terroir – the soil, the vineyard, the region – which adds minerality and complexity to the wine.

In the spirit of this first chapter I decided to pick up a couple bottles from Bourgogne. We first drank the Louis Latour ’06 from the Marsannay appellation. This wine made a big first impression on me, but not for the reason you might think. I cut off the foil, about to remove the cork, and I noticed the foil was THICK. It was firm to bend, almost like a thin piece of steel. Next, I opened the bottle, and I noticed the cork was (a) real, and (b) in pristine condition. I have had some bad luck with corks recently, including one that was rotten resulting in corked, undrinkable wine that tasted like vinegar. This bottle, on the other hand was sealed with quality. A great first impression.

Oh, and it tasted good too! Despite its light, strawberry juice colour, the nose on this wine reminded me of a deep inky smell like when my pens used to break in elementary school. I could also smell a lot of alcohol. This wine was silky on the tongue, and Julia picked out flavours of black currants. It reminded her of a Gamay we had a few months ago. Overall, a delicious, complex Burgundy that I would happily drink again.