Saturday, January 24, 2009

FLAT ROCK CELLARS THE RUSTY SHED CHARDONNAY 2007

Yet another bottle I picked up during a tour of the Niagara Peninsula. I had been very impressed by the Flat Rock Cellars winery itself. Perched atop a lookout, the tasting room ajoined a deck from which I could view the vineyards. The Rusty Shed Chardonnay is made in small batches, and each one is marked with the bin number (mine was number 05007). At $30, I had high expectations for this wine and I have to admit I was a little disappointed. The nose had apples, toast, and a slight fishiness. It wasn't offensive, but it was there. On the palate I had expected the rounded, honey-and-vanilla character of other Niagara chardonnays, but the Rusty Shed was quite different. Very dry, with a sharp citrusy finish, I could detect granny smith apples and minerals, much like a Chablis. Julia detected a creamy smoothness before the sharp finish, which was quite short. Again, rather than the golden straw I had expected, this wine had a very pale almond colour. Overall, the Flat Rock Rusty Shed Chardonnay had very distinctive and unique characteristics, and would pair well with a light garlic seafood dish.