Friday, January 2, 2009

FARNESE MONTEPULCIANO D'ABRUZZO 2007

For a recent party Jules and I picked up several magnums of inexpensive Italian and Chilean wine. Turns out we totally overestimated the amount that would be consumed, so many bottles remained unopened and we have been slowly sampling them ever since (oh, what a world). I particularly like the Farnese Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, which only cost $12.65 for a magnum (1.5 L) at the LCBO. I had noticed Farnese wines for their low price in both B.C. and Ontario liquor stores, but was always hesitant about the quality. Recently, I noticed that Farnese had been mentioned a couple of times in the most recent Wine Access International Value Wine Awards results so I decided to give this one a try. It really was quite decent, with hearty, earthy tones that worked well with the lamb stew I made. This wine reminds be of a cab sav or merlot because of its full bodied flavour and distinct tannins. Montepulciano D'Abruzzo is a wine grape grown in the Italian region of Abruzzo, and is known for its fruitful flavours.




As a side note, I received a Peugeot of France double action wine and champagne pump set for Christmas. This acquisition is well overdue as I had previously just used a cork to close unfinished wines - a definite no-no that results in oxidisation. The pump is especially ideal for these magnum bottles that can last for days.