Tuesday, November 11, 2008

STONEY RIDGE RESERVE PINOT NOIR 2006

I picked up this pinot when I visited several Beamsville Bench wineries in August. The grounds at Stoney Ridge was very impressive, with large beautiful gardens full of flowers and herbs. They very much deserve to be know as "Niagara's Garden Winery." Inside, the tasting bar was small yet busy, and you could pick up a variety of cheeses and other food to go with your wine.

I wish I could be as positive about the wine. The boquet showed hints of strawberry, and I could detect cranberry and roses on the palate. I found it to be a very simple wine, and the low alcohol content was very noticable (12.2%). The label claimed that the wine had been oaked for at least a year, however it was undetectable. For a "reserve" wine I was quite disappointed.